
I took the kids to see High School Musical on Tour last night, and what a fabulous time! I've been wanting to get them to a "real" play for quite some time, but the tickets are way beyond our budget. With the news of the HS Musical tour, Our-Kids sent subscribers a special discount code, reducing the price by almost 50%!
Although I was thrilled to take them both, I especially enjoyed seeing Little D's reaction to the play. At seven, it takes a little more to WoW him than little miss. From the twinkle of excitement the first time the scenery floated off the stage to the amazement when the entire company was singing and dancing; He was floored. We waited until the theatre cleared out and I brought them up to peek at the orchestra, he couldn't believe there were musicians in that pit the entire time! Afterwards we went outside and got autographs from the cast members, both kids were starstruck. Little miss was wearing a Wildcats Cheerleading outfit; and everybody was complimenting her -- that made her day! "Taylor" got down next to her and chatted it up for over five minutes, Little Miss felt like a star as we piled in the car!
On the way home I suggested we stop going to the movie theater and save up for more plays. Little miss, "Noooooo, I Love the Movies!". Little D, "Oh Yeah, Plays Are SO MUCH BETTER!! It's real people!"
Now, for a review of the actual play. I didn't think I would enjoy the play as much as the kids reactions. I was happily surprised this wasn't the case. Although they followed the general plot, enough was changed so the audience didn't sit through a word-for-word reenactment of the movie. Four characters really stood out, much more than the movie versions:
The characters Ryan and Sharpay had a lot more depth in the play. Ryan had heart and a BIG sense of humor. Sharpay's insecurities were brought to the front, she ends the play a better person. Ms. Darbus has a much better role; instead of a cranky bitter drama teacher, they made her much more personable. Ellen Harvey played her, and was hysterical!
The actress who wasn't given a huge roll but really stood out as the biggest star was Shaullanda Lacombe (Taylor) (pictured on the left). She had more on stage presence than any other cast member. Not only that, but after the show, when cast members signed autographs, Shaullanda did more than just whiz by, she stayed and chatted with the audience. In fact, she was still talking to a few people as we drove by 25 minutes after the show. I predict a long and successful career for this actress!
2.07.2008
The kids eyes were sparkling!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I loved the movie.
By: therapydoc on March 10, 2008
Post a Comment